Friday, March 30, 2012

Review: Frostbite by Richelle Mead

Rose loves Dimitri, Dimitri might love Tasha, and Mason would die to be with Rose...

It’s winter break at St. Vladimir’s, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy’s crawling with Guardians—including Rose’s hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if hand-to-hand combat with her mom wasn’t bad enough, Rose’s tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason’s got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa’s head while she’s making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy’s not taking any risks... This year, St. Vlad’s annual holiday ski trip is mandatory.

But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price...

First Sentence: I actually am going to skip the prologue and give you the first sentence of Chapter One; “I didn’t think m day could get any worse until my best friend told me she might be going crazy. Again.”

Characters: Rose- I love her. I really do. But she annoyed me so much at times. Okay, yeah she’s a beast at being a guardian in training and all. She seemed way too conceited though. Like, she knew she was hot, and flaunted that. She knew she was a good guardian. All of her best qualities make her into a really supercilious (I just love that word—It means stuck up) person and honestly, I don’t see what Dimitri sees in her.

Dimitri- *sighs* So dreamy but I feel like I’m not getting enough of him. I get that he’s all hot and a “God” but still. He doesn’t get much “screen time”. I wish there was more to read about him.

Lissa- Rose’s best friend…well, she is spending too much time with Christian. Just saying. Come on! Rose is your best friend, Liss, make time for her too.

Mason- Poor, poor Mason. He is so in love with Rose and she just…ugh. Uses him, basically. Okay, she tried to reciprocate the feelings, I give her that. The first time I read this, I was all for Team Rose + Mason. He’s just all wrong for her, yet I felt bad. And then in the end…I’m not going into details so I don’t spoil anything.

Content: Strange Strigoi attacks? Attacks that don’t follow any of the accepted beliefs? Plus, forbidden love? Perfect story right there.

Setting and details: Umm… Idaho, I think, is where a lot of this was taken place. Well, first it was the Academy in Montana, and then a ski resort in, I think, Idaho. Oh, then there’s Spokane, in Washington, right? Anyways, it was snowy and there were mountains. Mostly all I got out of the descriptions.

Overall Enjoyment: I’ve got to say this book was better the first time I read it. Not meaning I didn’t love it this time around, too, ‘cause I totally did. I kept reading and reading. I cried the first time I read Frostbite, wasn’t quite expecting to cry this time as well. But I did. And really? Any book that can bring tears to my eyes is a good book. I’m pretty sure this is my favorite in the series.

No comments: