Friday, April 27, 2012

Review: Kissing Coffins by Ellen Schreiber



Not far from Dullsville, someone's lurking in the dark. . . .
After meeting the handsome and shadowy Alexander Sterling, goth-girl Raven's dark world has a bright, new glow. But as in her favorite movie, "Kissing Coffins," Raven knows that love always has its complications, especially when Alexander has a big secret to guard.
When Alexander suddenly disappears, Raven leaves Dullsville to begin a dangerous search to find him. Can she stay safe, no matter who--or what--she encounters on the way?

First line: “It was like a final nail in a coffin.”

Positive:

Nicknames for everything- Goth Guy, Dullsville, Hipsterville, Nerd Boy. I remember my friend and I had codenames for everything just like this. So it’s easy for me to relate.

Hipsterville- Like I said, it has a cool nickname but we don’t really know the name of the town. Hipsterville is where Raven’s Aunt Libby lives. It’s a huge contrast from Dullsville, where Raven herself lives. Everything in Hipsterville is cool. Especially Hot Gothics!

Hot Gothics- I’m pretty sure that’s a play off of Hot Topic. Oh well. I really wish there was a store like Hot Gothics here. Honestly, how can a girl dress like a goth without the right clothing store?! We don’t even have a Hot Topic here! Ugh, I feel like I’m living in my own personal Dullsville.

The Coffin Club- The Coffin Club is a place for fellow goths to hang out and be themselves. I wish there was a club like that here. Only place we have to hang out is “The City”, which is a “club” for middle and high schoolers. Booorrriingg. I stopped going there a few years ago because there’s just nothing to do. Other places to go? Well, when you’re 18 you can go to clubs in the middle of no where with inebriated rednecks. Yay. Welcome to Kansas -.-

The ending- The end was well written and gives you something to look forward to in the next book. It ends in a cliffhanger which just makes you want to go out and get book #3 right away.

Negative:

Maturity level- Again I was disappointed in the some of the content. I still feel like the characters have a lot of growing up to do.

Uncertainty- I’m not sure where Dullsville is actually at. Ellen Schreiber never really says the name of the town which, I wish she would. I like knowing where the characters live. It makes it easier for me to picture the scenes. This isn’t really a terrible thing that ruins the book. I mean, my favorite book of all time doesn’t even state a location.

No comments: