Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Review: Heaven by VC Andrews



Of all the folks in the mountain shacks, the Casteels were the lowest -- the scum of the hills.

Heaven Leigh Casteel was the prettiest, smartest girl in the backwoods, despite her ragged clothes and dirty face...despite a father meaner than ten vipers...despite her weary stepmother, who worked her like a mule. For her brother Tom and the little ones, Heaven clung to her pride and her hopes. Someday they'd get away and show the world that they were decent, fine and talented -- worthy of love and respect.

Then Heaven's stepmother ran off, and her wicked, greedy father had a scheme -- a vicious scheme that threatened to destroy the precious dream of Heaven and the children forever!



Holy crowbear. VC Andrews is, in my opinion, the most talented author ever. You know, without having read her book “Ruby” (review soon) I wouldn’t have ever liked reading, and then I wouldn’t be blogging here now!

Heaven is one of the older novels by Andrews, when she was actually the one writing her books (She died and a ghost writer is publishing under her name now). All of the details and scenery were so vivid, especially in the “Willies” aka the hills in West Virginia. I felt like I was there, experiencing everything alongside Heaven. It takes a truly remarkable author to make me feel that way.

The characters were strong and well-developed. Despite their flaws, I liked them all. Even the ones I hated were likable! There were times I could relate to Heaven, though this book is set years ago (it was published in the 80’s…).

If I had to say one thing to get you to pick up this book and read it, it would be that this was one of the first times I read more than one book at a time. I was reading both this, and Frostbite, then Shadow Kiss, then Forgotten Souls. Yeah, I know, I read 3 books to this one. But still! With each one, all I wanted to do was put it down and pick up Heaven. Heaven is such a detailed read though that you can’t just speed through it.

Watch out for more VC Andrews reviews... I plan on re-reading them more in the near future.

No comments: