Monday, July 2, 2012

Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Goodreads description:
It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future-and each other.

Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.

 


To me, Where She Went was better than the first in the series, If I Stay. A lot of people told me that If I Stay was really emotional and one of the best books they’ve read. It just didn’t cut it for me. I still decided to pick up Where She Went. I wasn’t disappointed.

Where She Went evoked so much emotion from me. Emotion I didn’t even know I had. I was laughing and crying throughout the entire book. It’s just so real, you know?

This book touched on so much that regular people go through. Love, loss, redemption. The love between Mia and Adam isn’t like the fluffy relationships you usually read about. The fight, a lot. They call out each other’s BS. But at the end of the day, their love is so completely obvious and undeniable. I feel like anyone could relate to them.

There were just two things I didn’t like;

1.       The beginning pages. If you just picked up the book and started reading without reading the summary (like I did), you’d be completely confused as to who is telling the story. Adam is the narrator this time. I went into the book thinking Mia was, which created some confusion for me. However, I did enjoy reading from Adam’s POV more than I did Mia’s in If I Stay.

2.       Language. I have no problem with cuss words in books…as long as they are used in the right context. In Where She Went, there were F bombs that didn’t necessarily need to be put in, at least not in that specific place. Still didn’t take away from my love of this book.

I also need to say that I’ve been in a huge reading slump lately. This book? This book seemed to bring me out of that. So I’d definitely recommend this one to anyone having trouble getting into reading, or well, anyone who enjoys a good book.

No comments: