Thursday, July 19, 2012

Review: Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

Goodreads description:
Nora Grey's life is still far from perfect. Surviving an attempt on her life wasn't pleasant, but at least she got a guardian angel out of it. A mysterious, magnetic, gorgeous guardian angel. But, despite his role in her life, Patch has been acting anything but angelic. He's more elusive than ever (if that's possible) and what's worse, he seems to be spending time with Nora's arch-enemy, Marcie Millar.

Nora would have hardly noticed Scott Parnell, an old family friend who has moved back to town, if Patch hadn't been acting so distant. Even with Scott's totally infuriating attitude, Nora finds herself drawn to him - despite her lingering feeling that he's hiding something.

If that weren't enough, Nora is haunted by images of her murdered father, and comes to question whether her Nephilim bloodline has anything to do with his death. Desperate to figure out what happened, she puts herself in increasingly dangerous situations to get the answer. But maybe some things are better left buried, because the truth could destroy everything - and everyone - she trusts.



I don’t really want to write this review, because as a whole, this book was really amazing. But picking it apart and analyzing it, I realize that it could have been better.

Originality: The concept of fallen angels and Nephilim isn’t new. Teenage relationship problems are not new. The way they were put together was new, sure. The originality has to be a no from me.

Characters: Ughh Nora is probably the weakest character I’ve read about. All she does is put up with others’ crap and caves into peer pressure all the time. I mean, her best friend? I wouldn’t even consider her a best friend. Constantly she is wanting Nora to go out with her and when Nora says no, Vee keeps pushing it. I’m just like “She said no. Stop it.” And then there are the guys. Hot guys? Yes. But these aren’t guys to be going around falling in love with.

Content: Like I said, fallen angels and Nephilim aren’t new. However, I love reading about them. Especially when the author can write about angels in a way that doesn’t bring religion into the mix. I really enjoyed the content in this one.

Setting: Coldwater, Maine. This is the perfect scenery for this story. It gives the mood a sense of coldness and gloom, what with all the fog. I couldn’t have picked a better location to set this in.

Overall enjoyment: I actually did really like this book. Of course, I’m going to read the rest of the series. What’s keeping me holding on to the story is the suspense, the surprise at the end of each book when we find out who the real bad guy is. At the end of Crescendo, I was shocked to see who the bad guy was. Honestly, it was the person I least expected it to be.

So, yeah, I would most absolutely recommend this to those who love paranormal romance.

1 comment:

JessiM said...

I'm so far behind with this series! With the first book, I felt like it was an enjoyable read, but when I picked up the second one, I found myself getting confused and feeling less engaged. You're definitely right--Nora is a bit of a weak character and I think ultimately that was probably why I never picked up Silence. Maybe once the series is done I'll sit down and try to read them all.