Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Goodreads description:When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing - not even a smear of blood - to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know.

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

Originality: City of Bones had a high originality factor, mixed with some old traditions. The mythical creatures that Cassandra Clare has incorporated into her stories still have the same basis as those you’d see in other books. For example, werewolves hate silver, faeries hate iron, etc. At least she didn’t completely change the creatures as Stephenie Meyer did in Twilight. Come on. Vampires don’t sparkle. (Don’t get me wrong…I love Twilight.)

Characters: Well…I really wasn’t a huge fan of Clary. I don’t know why. I think it was the fact that she so easily accepted the world she was suddenly thrown into. She didn’t question much and just went along with it like “demons are normal, no big deal”. At least, that’s the way I saw it. Now Jace on the other hand…I’m in love with him. He just makes my heart ache for him. You can really tell he’s been hurt, but he tries to hide it by acting like a jerk.

Content: I didn’t really like the usage of several mythical characters. Cassandra Clare used everything; from faeries and elves, to vampires and demons. Also, I’m just not into the whole “demon slaying” thing. I think it’s just something that I’ll learn to like.

Setting: I’m so confused. The setting was in New York. There are so many regions in New York and the characters knew their way around. The entire time I was reading I was thinking “Wait. Is Brooklyn a separate city…or a region of New York City?” Just because I was confused didn’t mean it wasn’t a good setting. New York is known as the city that never sleeps, which fit the type of characters perfectly.

Overall enjoyment: Hmmmm…I’m really not sure if I loved City of Bones. I really liked it, and will definitely read the rest of the series. (Watch for reviews in the beginning of 2012.) I’m sure I’ll like The Mortal Instruments series as I read more. Although I don’t like the “demon slaying” stuff, it was a good change from my usual vampire readings. It was refreshing.

Extra: Ummm.. Was anyone else expecting that twist at the end???? I was completely shocked!! Please tell me it’s not for real…  No. Don’t tell me! I have to read the rest of the series and find out. J

No comments: