Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Review: The Beautiful Code by Sadie Hayes

"As their industry profiles rise, Adam and Amelia Dory fly to Hawaii to keynote TechCrunch’s Maui Waves of Disruption conference. Patty Hawkins also finds herself in Hawaii as the maid of honor in her sister Shandi’s wedding to Chad… but Chad and Patty can’t seem to get past the secret night they spent together. Both Patty and the twins quickly discover that the energy, lust and enemies of Silicon Valley follow you—no matter how far you go.

Originality: The Beautiful Code is original in my opinion. I love that the author, Sadie Hayes, is well researched on the topics discussed in her books. She really seems to know what she is talking about, and it shows.

Characters: Hehe I love how smart the characters are. They mostly all go to Stanford University, aka school for smart kids. And that’s another thing I love about Sadie Hayes’ stories. The characters are in college. That’s so refreshing since many young adult books are about characters in high school. Hello! College students are young adults too.

Content: I just keep getting sucked into The Start-Up series. It follows Stanford students making it big in the business industry. It’s kind of a Bill Gates story-going from having nothing to having everything. I love that. J

Setting: The first two additions the The Start-Up series were set in California, at the Stanford campus. In The Beautiful Code the characters have a somewhat vacation in Hawaii. You don’t get a strong feeling for how the scenery looks, but I feel like the “where” doesn’t matter as much as the “what” in these stories.

Overall enjoyment: Sadie Hayes has done it again! Like I said above, I keep getting sucked in. I was hooked from the very first page of The Start-Up, and I’m still in love at the end of The Beautiful Code. I hope Sadie keeps writing. She has such a serious talent. For those of you who have yet to read any of her work, please please please give it a try. You won’t be disappointed.

The Beautiful Code is set to be released sometime this week. When I know what date for sure, I'll tweet it. @SMAsbridge

No comments: