Thursday, January 12, 2012

Review: Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Goodreads description: Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything- including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

My Review:

Originality: I thought Nightshade was really original. I haven’t read any story where you actually get into the mind of the pack. With Breaking Dawn, from Jacob’s point of view, I didn’t really get the feel for pack life, and in Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes it was from Bryn’s point of view, and Bryn is a human so it wasn’t the same. But in Nightshade, from Calla’s POV, you get right in there with the pack and how the pack functions. I got to see the animalistic side of wolves for once. It was really interesting.

Characters: Both packs are really great! Calla runs the Nightshade pack, and Ren controls the Banes. They are both good leaders in their own ways. Calla was an amazing lead female who was just flat out confused. She’d gone through life knowing exactly what her future would be like, but as that future got closer, she wasn’t sure if it was what was right for her. Ren…is just…I don’t know. Sometimes he’s a big jerk, but he can be a good guy. And Shay? I love Shay. He’s just so curious sometimes that its dangerous.

Content: Loved the content with the wolf pack stuff. I don’t read much wolf related books, but when I do, I love seeing how each author puts a new twist to the material. There weren’t just wolves in Nightshade; there were other mythical creatures that added to the greatness.

Setting: Nightshade was set in Colorado, in the mountains. The setting was absolutely perfect for the story. Wolves actually reside in the mountains of Colorado so it made sense that they would be there. And the mountains actually added to elements of the plot.

Overall Enjoyment: I adored Nightshade and can’t wait to read the next two, Wolfsbane and Bloodrose. The pace of the story was the best. I could sit down and pick up the book and the next thing I know I’ve gotten through half the book. I’m usually a slow reader but Nightshade went by fast. I know I’m late starting this series, and most of you have probably already read it, but if you haven’t, I strongly encourage you to do so. Pick it up from your library, download it to your e-reader, or even take a trip to your local bookstore. Whatever your preferred method is, read this book. Seriously.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Great review! I loved this series. I am sad that it's over, but pleased with how she ended it.