Saturday, September 17, 2011

Review: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


Thirteen Reasons Why


Goodreads description: Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.




My review: Since page one of this book, I wanted to get to the end. Why? Because it sucked? No. Absolutely not. I wanted to reach the end because I was curious. I had a need to know what happens. Jay Asher has a way of keeping the reader hooked. Whenever I put the book down, I was still thinking about it. Its definitely one of those stories when you can’t decide if you should read fast, to get to the end, or take your time and make it last.

Jay gives a unique perspective. Both of the main characters are from the first person point of view, switching off by having Hannah’s POV in italics. I really liked that, the italics part. It made it easy to follow along. Instead of where there are multiple main characters told from 3rd person POV, where sometimes it takes a while to understand whose turn it is, I automatically knew: Clay=regular print, Hannah=italics. Simple.

What I really like is what Jay says his inspiration for this story was. In the author bio on the inside of the back cover, (Am I the only one who reads those? I care about who is writing what I read.) Jay says the idea for Thirteen Reasons Why came while taking an audio tour in a museum. The eerie voice describing what he was seeing intrigued him.

Most books I read have no meaning, only written for entertainment. However, I picked up on the theme of this story: Anything you do could change someone’s life.

Like I said, I loved this book from page one. Correction: I liked it since reading the summary on the back. Did it have the ending I hoped for? Not exactly. But I’m happy with how Clay’s story turned out.

No comments: