Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Review: Some Days Suck, Some Days Suck Worse by Michael A. Kozlowski


I am officially a fan of short stories. I like the shortness of them, how you don’t get too attached to the characters, and the lack of unneccesary background information.

In this collection, there were, of course, those characters that I did like more than others. Like Jeremy, from “Have To”, and Samantha, from “Eleven”. Those were the stories that I was completely like, “What?? OMG NO!!” at the end.

Mike, through his writing, creates this amazing sense of suspense that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Then, by the end, you are totally shocked at what happens. There was ONE story- one out of 21- that I actually had a feeling for what would happen. I. Loved. It.

Sure, there were a few stories in here that I wasn’t a huge fan of, but it didn’t matter because I knew I could look forward to 1. The shocking ending 2. The next story.

Then there were those stories I was completely blown away by. I still don’t know which was my favorite. I mean, “The Last Call” really drew me in, and then “Under My Bed” was like ‘WHOA!’. “Quiet Time” was very unique and I’d love to see a longer version of that one, “Feeling Down On The Farm”, now that one was crazy. In a good way. I could go on and on about each story. Hmm.. okay I’ll narrow it down. My top two favorites were “Eleven” and “Above The Clouds”.

What made it even better was the fact that Mike wrote an “author’s note” to every story. I got a feel for what he was thinking when writing and made the whole thing much clearer.

Oh! And I can’t forget the inspiration this has given me! I’ve always wanted to write, but I can never seem to finish a story. I never really thought about writing short stories. But now I think that this is something I’d like to do.

I feel like I could have read this quicker. It was definitely a fast read and very captivating. But, well, it was on my computer, and so is Minesweeper….’nuff said.

I was blown away by this collection and left in that state of depression after reading a good book and not really wanting to read anything else. This is something I’d recommend to more mature audiences due to the use of harsh language, and erm, some graphic scenes. Not something you let your middle-school child read.

*Note: I love the title- so cynical and just fits the collection perfectly J

1 comment:

Ashley Prince @ The Bibliophile's Corner said...

I am definitely a fan of short stories. I have actually been meaning to buy more. AND! I also want to write a collection of short stories. I think it would be fun.

Great review!