Monday, May 28, 2012

Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman


Goodreads description:
In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...

A sophisticated, layered, and heart-achingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make, and the ultimate choice Mia commands.



If I Stay was a beautifully written story, yet I found myself bored at times. I just didn’t feel there was much action. It was more like a recap of this girl’s life and the decision she has to face.

Yes, like I said, it was beautiful, though. The way the author related nearly everything to music(from classical, to rock) is amazing. Especially.. *speaks in hushed tones* ..the sex scene *gasp*. It wasn’t all dirty and X-rated like some books can get. Music has a lot to do with this book and it was great that it become a part of everything.

I wasn’t really as moved as some people were by this book. Honestly, what got me was the author’s note about “The Story Behind The Story” at the end. Apparently, this was inspired by a true story that had affected Gayle Forman. It’s touching that she could write something that was so obviously personal to her.

This was a short review, I know. I don’t really have much to say about If I Stay. It was good, not great. I probably will read the sequel, though. Would I recommend this? Sure. But it’s not at the top of my list of books to recommend.

No comments: