Friday, May 4, 2012

Review: Afterlife by Claudia Gray



Destiny awaits Bianca and Lucas . . .

Bianca and Lucas have always believed they could endure anything to be together. When a twist of fate not only transforms Bianca into a wraith but also turns Lucas into a vampire--the very creature he spent his life hunting--they are left reeling.

Haunted by his powerful need to kill, Lucas can turn to only one place for help . . . Evernight Academy. Bianca is determined to remain with him. But with the vampire leader of Evernight waging a war against wraiths, her former home has become the most dangerous place she could be, despite the new powers her ghostly transformation has given her.

A battle between wraiths and vampires looms, and Bianca and Lucas face a terrifying new reality. They've overcome every obstacle life has thrown at them, but is their love strong enough to survive the challenges "after" life?

Positive:

The very first pages- I liked how this book started out. Sometimes with series, the sequels start out weeks, sometimes months, after the ending of the last book. We’ve all read those super annoying sequels where we can’t remember what happened in the last book, right? Well, Afterlife isn’t like that. Not at all. It starts out exactly where it left off in the last book. Okay, not exactly. It was supposedly a few hours afterwards but still. I had a full understanding of what was going on. If I’d read this, say a year after I read Hourglass, I’d still know what was happening.

Portrayal of the “afterlife”- Okay, I absolutely adore books that show what happens after death. Each time I read a book like this, I get a feel for what it might be like after I die. I’m so open to many possibilities that it’s interesting to sort of picture myself in an afterlife like this.

The happy ending!- No, it wasn’t how I would have made things happen. But the characters got their happy ending and that’s what matters. Not everything was perfect for them, but I know they’re going to make it work.

Negative:

Slow start to the action- I felt like it took too long for me to get into this book, especially compared to others of the series. This could really be just because it’s the final in the series and I did not want it to end. Though, it could also be because the action, to me, was slow at the beginning. It definitely picked up towards the middle and end and made up for the slow start.

I’m going to miss reviewing this series. I was honestly not sure of what to expect when I first started Evernight, but now I’m so sad that the series is over. There was a good conclusion though that wrapped things up and didn’t leave me hanging. Miss Claudia Gray, I think you may be my new favorite author.

Come back tomorrow for my cover analysis of Hourglass(Evernight #3) !!

No comments: