Monday, April 30, 2012

Review: Evernight by Claudia Gray



Bianca wants to escape.

She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him.

"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would."

But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.

First line: “It was the first day of school, which meant it was my last chance to escape.”

Positive:

Names- I always have trouble creating unique names, and then Claudia Gray just has the coolest names ever. Vic, Raquel, Patrice, Bianca, and….wait for it… Balthazar! Sorry, I just think Balthazar is the most awesome name. Oh! And there’s Ranulf. We see more of Ranulf in later books, but I <3 him J

Creepy eeriness- The story and setting is dark and twisty. I loved it! The whole school was really amazing. It was like, I don’t know, an old building and century old students stuck in the present. A lot of conflicts there, which really made the whole thing that much better.

Writing- The writing is just pure genius. I could finish these books in a day if I could stay home from school! And it take some amazing fluency to make me read that fast. I was a little tentative about how much I’d enjoy these books at first, but I’m so captivated by them.

Negative:

All of a sudden change- We go through the whole book and everything seems really normal, human stuff. And then all of a sudden people are vampires and it turns out that the main character, Bianca, has known all along. It was confusing to me at first. I didn’t really like it, but I think it’s a cool way to write the story. No, it did not take away from the quality of the book.

No comments: