Saturday, July 14, 2012

Review: The Zombie Playground by Brian Rowe

                                    Goodreads description:Brin Skar has had a rough couple of weeks. She barely survived the grisly vampire attack in Bodie Ghost Town, the mysterious Paul is now a guest in her own home, and her dad Kristopher, dead for over a year, has emerged from the grave to try to kill his only daughter. After two somber funerals and the baffling disappearance of her Film teacher, Brin decides she needs a break from all the pain and heartache. And what’s a better escape than a round of golf at the brand new Macabre Golf Course? But as soon as Brin and her friends hit the links, strange noises and bizarre sightings begin to occur. And unfortunately for the group, the vampire encounter is going to seem like child’s play… especially when the zombies come out to play!


Like the first in this series, The Zombie Playground was a super amazing fast-paced read. This is one of those stories where you’re never left bored because there’s always some kind of action happening. I really enjoyed it and think others will as well.
Brin is this funny teenage girl that has a lot to deal with. Somehow she pulls through and manages to make some witty jokes along the way. I love Brin as a main character and I love the other characters also. Yes, even Anaya- the girl who takes jabs at others because she’s insecure with herself. I’ve grown to like her because I see that while technically the entire situation is her fault to begin with due to her insistence in the first book, she still ends up saving others much of the time.
There is a teeny love triangle. Oh, do not worry. It’s not mushy and stuff like others. Honestly you can hardly tell there’s an underlying romance. This series revolves mostly around a group of friends who encounter a bunch of mysterious paranormal activity in their town and there just happens to be relationships along the way.
Like I said, little romance. It’s basically a horror/comedy. I. Love. It. There’s never a dull moment. Most “horrors” I’ve read do actually focus on the romance. Not this. Nope. The monsters are gross and just all around awesome.
My one complaint is the believability. You’re trying to tell me that all of a sudden there’s just vampires and zombies running around this town? How did they get there? Why are they just now showing up? Didn’t take away from my love of the story, but I feel like these should be answered.
But obviously, I’d recommend this to those who enjoy a good, gruesome story. In the words of the Doctor this was…


Good job, Brian Rowe, good job.

2 comments:

Christine said...

Looks like a good read; thanks for sharing :)! I just found your blog and will definitely be following it from now on. I recently added some summer reading lists to my new blog if you want to take a look: http://www.traceygarvisgraves.com/
Thanks again!

Christine said...

Oops! I apologize for the error; I pasted the link to the author's blog of the book I was just reading On the Island, rather than my own blog! I had just copied the link to her blog into one of my blog posts, which caused the error. Sorry about that, but here is the link to my own blog: http://heartisinthewriteplace.blogspot.com/