Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Review: My Fairytale Life by Heather White


17 year old Jadyn and her dad are vampire hunters. That is until her dad decides it's time for Jadyn to have a "normal" life. When he moved them to Miami, Florida the last thing Jadyn expected was for there to be vampires.

Jadyn doesn't want to have a normal life, but then she starts to make new friends. She starts to think that maybe a normal life might not be so bad after all. But soon she realizes that maybe her friends aren't "human" as she once thought they were.

On top of everything else a very powerful vampire, Tabatha, seeks revenge on Jadyn. People from her school start disappearing, and people start dying. She wants to stop the deaths, but Tabatha has other plans for her.

Can Jadyn stop the one vampire that is impossible to kill before its too late?

First Sentence: “I woke up to the sound of Timothy screaming. I didn’t understand what was going on. I jumped out of bed quickly and walked to my door. I started to go out into the hallway to check it out, but I was stopped by my mom.”

Originality: Absolutely My Fairytale Life is an original story. Well, I guess I did see a lot of outside influence. But, I mean, that happens. An author has to get their ideas from somewhere right? Mainly I was reminded of The Vampire Diaries (show not series; I haven’t finished the series), Night World, and a little of Twilight. Thankfully I love all three of those series and seeing some of the same concepts in My Fairytale Life was grrrrreat!

Characters: I. Love. Jadyn. And her dad. And Beau. And Erica. And, *sighs*, Jeremy. First of all, Jadyn is such a BA character. She hunts vampires! Come on, that is unique. Usually in vamp stories the girl falls in love with the “sensitive vampire who only wants to do good for the world”. But nope. She kills them. It’s awesome J Her dad is just amazing and they have a good sense of communication with each other, which is expected considering they’ve been fighting vampires together most of her life. Beau is super sweet. He was Jadyn’s first real friend. Erica is also cool. She’s dark and a little spooky, although you don’t see that at first. Jeremy, however, is my absolute favorite. He is so flippin’ hot. Well, okay, he is in my imagination. He’s funny, kinda arrogant, but all around a perfect guy.

Content: Evil vampires? Check. Vampire slayer? Check. Three great friends? Check. What more could you want from a story?? Even every little small detail built the story in unimaginable ways. Seriously, the fact that Jadyn loves Dr. Pepper made my love for this book grow.

Setting: My Fairytale Life is set in Miami, Florida. I know you’re probably thinking, “Miami? Vampire story? No way.” That’s exactly why Jadyn’s dad chose to move there. Unfortunately, a shot at normalcy didn’t end up the way he planned.

Overall Enjoyment: I want more of Jadyn and co. I’m going through withdrawals already. My Fairytale Life began ‘in medias res’, which means right in the middle of action. I wasn’t bored a single moment throughout reading this book. The story was great, I can’t wait for #2 in the series, and I know that if you were to pick up this book right now you wouldn’t be able to stop reading.

No comments: