Monday, February 13, 2012

Review; Guardians: The Girl by Lola St. Vil



Emmy - a bookish, witty student - is rescued by six teenaged angels with powers, called Guardians. They've been sent to elicit the secret from her before the demons can. Emmy later learns that her name is the only clue to locating a sought-after bridge that for centuries, Evil has plotted to destroy; this would in turn bring about the end of humanity.

Things get worse when Emmy falls madly in love with Marcus, the well-intentioned but obstinate leader of the Guardians. He eventually confesses that he is in love with her as well. Unfortunately, Marcus has been warned by his clairvoyant and omniscient guide that should he and Emmy get together, the mission will fail and humanity will perish.


First Sentence: “Okay, it’s official: I’m a coward. No one is in class today but me—and the new twin foreign exchange
students from Japan.”

Originality: Are you freaking kidding me? No question Guardians is original. This is the single most original story I have read in the longest of time. Sure, I saw some things that I’m sure were influenced by other stories, but that definitely didn’t make it a “copy”. Not at all. At first Guardians sort of reminded me of City of Bones, but, dare I say, better. So. Much. Better.

Characters: Okay. I absolutely love Emmy. Oh my goodness, I love all of the characters. Well, not the bad guys. But I’m not supposed to love them, right?? As you can see from the little synopsis above, there are six teenaged angels also involved. They are: Marcus, Rio, Miku, Ameana, Jay, and Reese. Marcus is the leader of the group, but…Reese is my favorite out of them all, though you don’t see enough of him as you should. Jay is cute, but way too flirty. Miku and Rio are twins and they are...well, mysterious. You don’t learn much about them in this first book of the series, but hopefully we get more of their background story later on. And Ameana?? She’s just a jealous b-, I mean, …not nice person. xD

Content: So, the Guardians are technically angels, but they seem so much like real people. They have flaw just like everyone else. I liked that. They weren’t all perfect. The whole “Good vs. Evil” story just took a new twist with this book. With traditions, anecdotes, a creepy six-year-old, and a good love story, you’re sure to fall for Guardians.

Setting: Well, Guardians was set in New York. Mainly. I mean, they travel other places few times. But really? With a story this great, who cares what the setting is?? Even so, New York fit the story perfectly and was described very well.

Overall Enjoyment: I just keep wanting more. This is definitely something I will re-read, several times. The ending had my face going like this: O.O, and my thoughts trailing in the direction of “Oh. My. Flippin’. Omnis.” [Read the book, you’ll understand ;) ] This work is beautiful, truly beautiful.

I post this review in great hopes that you will go to Amazon right now and purchase “Guardians: The Girl” by the wonderful Lola St. Vil. You will not be disappointed. 

No comments: