Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Review: Solid by Shelley Workinger

Solid (Solid, #1)Goodreads description:
Clio Kaid may be 17 and just beginning the last summer before her senior year, but her life is anything but typical.

She's just discovered she was genetically altered before birth and is now headed to a top-secret Army campus to explore the surprising results of the experiment.

Follow Clio and the other teens as they develop fantastic super-abilities, forge new friendships, find love, and uncover a conspiracy along the way.


Solid was so fluent and easy to read. I couldn’t put it down because it just holds your attention so well. The characters are great, each bringing something “to the table”. I honestly can’t even pick a favorite character because they are all so amazing. (Maybe Jack…. Hm..)
I really loved the whole setting, which is at an army base of sorts. Well, an army base that has been redesigned to house 100 teens. It was like… a boarding school but the kids got a lot more freedom. And free food. Can’t pass up free food. Especially the Starbucks.
Ooooh and the whole chromosome change thing? So cool. Is it even possible to alter chromosomes? Okay, not like “possibility” matters in fiction, I’m just curious…. You get a glimpse of the entire ordeal in the prologue, but with rats, so you’re not totally confused when the real story begins. I liked that.
One thing I want to point out, though, is I noticed some plot holes. Nothing major. Ex: one character changed their name before enlisting in the army to avoid conflict because of who they are related to. Doesn’t the army do a huge background check on everyone? No? I don’t know.. Still, this could be excused as “it didn’t matter at the time they were enlisting and no one thought to check years later”.
Anyways, I really really loved this book and the whole direction the story is going. The relationships between characters are extraordinary. I’m kind of kicking myself right now for reading the sneak peek to book #2. If I had an e-reader, I would totally buy the rest of the series. BUT for those of you who do have an e-reader, go download this book. You’ll enjoy it as much as I did, *pinky promise* ;)

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

Did you hear the story about R B Jones? When he enlisted he filled out the form as he always had: R (only) B (only) Jones and from that day forward he was on the Army's records as Ronly Bonly Jones. It was back during one of the world wars, but just goes to prove that the Army can be pretty thick. ;)